Connect with us

%

Update – More Clubs Defy FA And UEFA In Row Over Queen Remembrances

Published

on

update-–-more-clubs-defy-fa-and-uefa-in-row-over-queen-remembrances

23:16 (September 14) – Rangers and Chelsea have defied the FA and UEFA ‘s decision over the use of the national anthem.

Rangers took the decision to play “God save the King” ahead of the game against Napoli on Wednesday, September 14 defying the decision of the sport’s governing body.

The club, which has a long history of a close bond with Britain’s royal family, had requested permission to play the anthem, however, it had been turned down.

Fans at Chelsea emulated the scenes at Ibrox with fans breaking into an impromptu version of “God save the King”, again in defiance of UEFA.

The governing body had allowed a period of silence prior to UEFA games, as well as saying black armbands should be worn at all matches featuring teams from Britain.

Rangers, who proudly posted their tribute to the Queen online, are likely to face some sort of sanction from UEFA.

These decisions along with those taken by the FA in the UK are further evidence of the governing bodies being out of touch with fans.


19:16 (September 14) – A row has broken out in British football after the Football Association’s decision to cancel games the weekend following the Queen’s death.

According to a report by Sky News on Wednesday, September 14 some lower league clubs are being investigated after they completed games despite the blanket ban that includes grassroots level football.

But one has to question the decision to ban all games especially when there is no link with the royal family, nor did other sports enforce such a ban. Many have questioned the decision as they have the right of the game administrators to enforce such a ban and such a wide one at that.

A significant majority of the football playing community and those who regularly pay to go and play matches side with the views of former England International Peter Crouch who said: “I know it’s only a game and some things are much bigger but imagine all our games went ahead this weekend.

“Black armbands, silences observed, national anthem, royal band playing etc to the millions around the world watching?

“Isn’t that a better send-off?”

That view has widespread support, with games offering a wonderful way for fans to show their respects many of whom would not do otherwise.

Clubs that are being investigated include Sheffield International FC and Byron House, whose game went ahead prompting the Sheffield and District Fair Play League to condemn the “disrespectful and despicable behaviour.”

Sheffield & Hallamshire County FA said in a statement: “There will be an investigation into this matter, in conjunction with the, and these two teams will be dealt with in the strongest possible terms.”.

League chairman Danny Taylor said: “We may or may not agree with the mass cancellation of football, but this was decided as a mark of respect and should therefore have been adhered to.”

The two clubs in trouble decided to go ahead and play a friendly in a mark of respect, however, administrators haven’t taken the same view.

Oh wow! Byron House have arrived! Fancy seeing them here! pic.twitter.com/aXa01Ioy4F

— Sheffield International FC (@SheffInterFC) September 10, 2022

But just who is right? Should the FA and its member bodies be allowed to implement such a wide and total ban without consulting those that make up the game, the players?

Secondly, was cancelling the games the right thing to do or was a major opportunity missed up and down the country for football fans to show their respect?

Finally, one has to question what the FA hoped to get out of the cancellation of the games. Did it really help the sport to show its respect for the Queen or did it achieve quite the opposite?

Is the British football row all about nothing or was this a genuine missed opportunity?  What do you think?


Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

%

1 Dead And 90 Evacuated From A Tower Block Blaze With 'polystyrene' Cladding

Published

on

1-dead-and-90-evacuated-from-a-tower-block-blaze-with-'polystyrene'-cladding

A man has died and 90 other people have been evacuated from a tower block after a fire broke out on the top floor. The tower’s cladding has been likened to a “polystyrene” like material. 

The block of flats, called Twinnell House in Easton, Bristol was attended by emergency workers around 2:15am this morning when a fire broke out on the 16th floor. 

Of the 90 people evacuated, eight people are currently being treated in hospital for smoke inhalation and minor burns. Three other people are seen to by medics at the scene of the blaze. 

Concerns around the tower’s cladding material had already been raised after the Grenfell Tower disaster in 2017, when a fire broke out on the 24th floor of the North Kensington block of flats. 

Gina Massiah, a 57 year old legal secretary who used to live in Twinnell House, told the Sun “when they put the cladding up I was quite surprised”. She described it as seeming and appearing like brick, but said that “when you touch it it feels like it is made of polystyrene.” Massiah also revealed that there were “no sprinklers” and “no alarm” in the block of flats. 

Those who lived in Twinnell House, which is completely owned by Bristol City Council, have been provided with a rest centre set up at a nearby church in which the city council are currently providing welfare support to around 40 people. A Bristol City Council spokesperson has said their “thoughts are with the family of the individual who has tragically lost their life in this incident”. 

Yassin Mohamud, the Green party chancellor, said he hadn’t “heard any complaints or requests by residents.” but confirmed that there is “still an ongoing investigation with the fire authority and the police, we will await the outcomes of this report.” 


Thank you for taking the time to read this article. Do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories. Remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

Continue Reading

%

Elche's Tribute To Its Former Mayor

Published

on

elche's-tribute-to-its-former-mayor

Elche’s tribute to its former mayor. Image: Elche Town Hall

The City Council of Elche has inaugurated the old street “la Figuera” with the new name of “Jose Esclapez Campillo”, located in Torrellano.

The name change is in institutional recognition of the personal and professional career of Jose Esclapez Campillo who became mayor in 2012 until his death in 2017, according to Elche Town Hall.

The Mayor of Elche, Carlos Gonzalez, said: “Pepe Esclapez, as he was known to his neighbours, was president of the Fiestas Committee on several occasions. He was a very active and tireless worker for this town.”

“Jose Esclapez has left a great memory among his neighbours and also in all the people who have had the opportunity to share with him the experiences of his position as mayor of Torrellano.”

The Mayor added: “Today, with this simple but emotional act, we want to remember, thank and recognise a person who was very dear to all of us, for Torrellano and for all the people of Elche.”

“I believe that the street map should be a reflection of what happens in society and the people who are important for that territory and, therefore, based on this reflection we dedicate this street to Pepe Esclapez.”

The Mayor confirmed that “Pepe was always a loyal person who fought at all times to improve the quality of life of the residents of Torrellano, above any other premise.”


Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

Continue Reading

%

Switzerland Inflict Spain's First Home Defeat In Almost Four Years In Nation's League Disaster

Published

on

switzerland-inflict-spain's-first-home-defeat-in-almost-four-years-in-nation's-league-disaster

Image of Spainish national men’s football manager Luis Enrique. Credit: [email protected]

Spain lost at home for the first time in almost four years in their Nation’s League match with Switzerland.

Switzerland dealt a massive blow to Spain’s bid to qualify for next year’s Nations League finals after inflicting a home defeat on Luis Enrique’s side in Zaragoza on Saturday, September 24. This was the men’s national side’s first home loss since 2018 when they lost 3-2 to England in the same competition.

🏁 ¡¡FINAL DEL PARTIDO EN ZARAGOZA!!

Lo intentamos hasta el último segundo, pero caemos por la mínima ante Suiza.

¡¡Viajaremos a Portugal para luchar por el pase a la Final Four y solo nos vale GANAR!!

🇪🇸 🆚 🇨🇭 | 1-2 | 90+5’#VamosEspaña | #NationsLeague pic.twitter.com/z3RC5TnlK3

— Selección Española de Fútbol (@SEFutbol) September 24, 2022

Portugal now top Group A2 after a resounding 4-0 away win against the Czech Republic. Losing to the Swiss now turns the match in Portugal between the two Iberian nations this Tuesday, September 27, into a critical affair for the Spanish. Only one of the teams can progress from the group.

A header from Manuel Akanji put the Swiss in front after 21 minutes. Jordi Alba levelled the scores in the 55th minute, offering the possibility of a comeback. Their hopes were squashed only three minutes later when Eric Garcia, under pressure from Breel Embolo at a corner, turned the ball into his own net to hand the Swiss a famous victory.

Spain had not lost a competitive match in 22 outings across all competitions at the national level until this Saturday. Remarkably, it was only their second home loss since 2003. Luis Enrique now has just a few days to lift the spirits of his players for the Portugal game, where only three points will suffice for the 2021 Nations League runners-up.

Switzerland will face the Czech Republic in the group’s other game, but neither side could overtake Portugal either way.

___________________________________________________________

Thank you for taking the time to read this article. Do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Spanish Property & News