Several people described feeling sudden vibrations lasting several seconds before the movement subsided. Photo credit: Engel Drohnenpilot/Shutterstock
A magnitude 4.8 earthquake struck off the coast of Gran Canaria on Friday, May 22, and was felt across several Canary Islands, including Tenerife and Fuerteventura. The earthquake was recorded by Spain’s National Geographic Institute of Spain (IGN), which said the tremor occurred at approximately 9:50am local time in the Atlantic Ocean north of Gran Canaria.
According to initial seismic data, the epicentre was located around 59 to 61 kilometres north of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria at a depth estimated between 10 and 30 kilometres. Residents across parts of Gran Canaria, Tenerife and Fuerteventura reported feeling buildings shake, windows rattle and furniture move during the tremor.
Residents reported shaking across multiple islands
Spanish media described the earthquake as the strongest seismic event recorded in the Canary Islands in the past five years.Emergency services monitored the situation throughout the morning, although there were no immediate reports of injuries, evacuations or major structural damage.
Authorities urged residents and tourists to remain calm while seismic monitoring continued across the region. Several people described feeling sudden vibrations lasting several seconds before the movement subsided. Local residents also reported hearing low rumbling sounds during the earthquake in some areas close to the coast.
Earthquake originated offshore in the Atlantic Ocean
The archipelago sits on a volcanic hotspot and experiences earthquakes linked to both tectonic movement and volcanic processes.Although small tremors are relatively common across the islands, stronger earthquakes capable of being felt across several islands occur less frequently. The strength and depth of the earthquake meant it was widely noticed by residents and visitors across multiple parts of the archipelago.
The tremor occurred in the Atlantic ocean, north of Gran Canaria Photo credit: ING
Region remains under close seismic observation
The earthquake renewed public attention on seismic activity in the Canary Islands following the 2021 volcanic eruption on La Palma. That eruption lasted nearly three months and destroyed thousands of buildings, roads and agricultural areas, forcing large-scale evacuations.
Since the eruption, Spanish authorities have continued strengthening seismic and volcanic monitoring systems across the islands. The IGN operates continuous monitoring stations throughout the archipelago to track earthquakes, underground magma movement and volcanic activity.
No tsunami warning issued following the tremor
Despite the strength of the earthquake, authorities confirmed that no tsunami warning was issued. Emergency officials said the characteristics of the tremor did not indicate a significant tsunami risk for coastal areas. Local emergency coordination centres continued receiving calls and public reports throughout the morning as monitoring operations remained ongoing.
Authorities also stated that no disruption had been reported at airports, ports or transport infrastructure across the islands following the earthquake. Tourist areas in southern Tenerife and Gran Canaria were among the locations where residents and visitors reported feeling the tremor.
Tourism areas among locations affected
The Canary Islands are one of Spain’s most important tourism regions and receive millions of international visitors every year. British tourists represent one of the largest visitor groups to the islands, particularly in destinations such as Tenerife, Gran Canaria and Lanzarote.
The earthquake was widely discussed across local social media platforms shortly after it occurred, with residents sharing videos and descriptions of the shaking. Some residents reported briefly leaving buildings as a precaution, although emergency services did not order evacuations.
Scientists continue monitoring volcanic and tectonic activity
Experts have repeatedly stated that earthquakes in the Canary Islands do not automatically indicate an imminent volcanic eruption. However, the islands remain one of Spain’s most closely monitored geological regions because of their volcanic structure and eruption history.
Scientists continue tracking underground movement, gas emissions and earthquake frequency across the archipelago as part of long-term volcanic risk assessment.
Strongest earthquake recorded in the Canary Islands in years
Spanish reports have described the earthquake as the strongest recorded in the Canary Islands since 2021.
Residents in parts of Gran Canaria and Tenerife described the tremor as unusually strong compared with previous seismic events felt in recent years. Authorities have advised the public to continue following official updates from emergency services and the IGN while monitoring continues across the region.
Puente la Reina village, Navarra on Camino route. Credit: Ayuntamiento PLR
A local resident discovered the lifeless body of a 64-year-old English pilgrim in the Robo River close to Puente la Reina-Gares on Friday morning, May 22. Police Foral officers, the police force of Navarra, rushed to the spot after receiving the alert at 9.30am.
Location and circumstances of the fall
Investigators suspect the man attempted to cross a ramshackle wooden bridge constructed from logs and pallets. This unofficial crossing is said to sit around two to three metres above the water level and serves local people accessing allotment plots. Reports indicate the structure does not form part of any official Camino de Santiago path. Registration details confirm the pilgrim was booked in as a registered guest at Hotel Albergue Jakue and nearby Albergue El Peregrino on Wednesday night. Concerns grew following failure to return for his booked accommodation among those around him.
Emergency services deployment
Firefighters from Navarra joined a duty doctor and an ambulance crew at the riverbank site. Medical staff could only confirm the death upon arrival near the riverbank on the way out of town towards Pamplona.
Police investigation underway
Officers from the regional force continue to examine details of what happened. Judicial authorities are now overseeing the case as standard procedure for such incidents. Everything points to an accidental slip that led to a plunge into the river. A possibility exists that the man struck his head during the fall from the height of the bridge. A local gardener who uses the bridge daily reported no unusual activity the previous day. Discovery occurred when the gardener returned to his plot the following morning and saw the body partially submerged.
Dangers on the pilgrimage
Another pilgrim lost his life on 17 April near Santiago de Compostela. That incident took place in the rúa do Beado area of O Milladoiro after the traveller suffered a sudden illness. Emergency teams from various services attended but could not revive him at the scene.
Sign up for personalised news
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our Privacy Policy for more information about our privacy practices.
Residents in the Costa del Sol area can look forward to safer and easier crossings thanks to fresh approval for improvements to a vital pedestrian bridge.
Historic campaign that built the crossing
Stella Bosworth spotted serious dangers on the busy A-7 road back in 1984 while working for a British tourism company. Her strong call for action pushed forward plans for a safe footbridge near developing residential zones. Alan James, her then boss, and a leading British developer and chairman of The Experience Group, stepped in to fund and complete the structure within six months when public support stalled. This elevated walkway has protected countless people since then, linking communities on both sides of the busy motorway.
New ramps will transform access
Permission now allows full upgrades focused on accessibility. Oscar Puente, Spain’s transport minister, finally gave permission for the works to start, allowing Estepona jurisdiction over this, what would normally be the Ministry of Transport. Plans include concrete access ramps on each side with a maximum gradient of 12.5 per cent. Elderly users, individuals with reduced mobility, cyclists and parents pushing strollers will gain straightforward passage across the A-7. The local council will cover all construction costs after more than three years of preparations. Technical details came together with input from nearby property owners and residents.
Communities united by better connections
El Paraiso and Benamara stand to benefit directly from smoother links across the motorway. Daily journeys become simpler for hundreds of households in these outskirts of Estepona. Families can move freely between homes, shops and leisure spots without relying on steep stairs. This project builds on the bridge’s original life-saving purpose and reflects ongoing efforts to support growing populations in the region.
Contracting processes have started, with construction expected to follow in the near future. The original 1980s bridge, built with mixed concrete and steel beams on metal supports, will retain its core while gaining modern features for universal use.
Alan James and Stella Bosworth’s early determination continues to shape safer travel for new generations. Their story reminds many how individual resolve combined with community backing can deliver lasting infrastructure. Local users express relief at the progress toward inclusive crossings that strengthen neighbourhood ties.
Benalmadena’s delicious seafood fair is returning to Plaza Adolfo Suarez from Thursday, May 28 to Sunday, May 31, giving you the freshest seafood the Mediterranean and marina has to offer. Last year thousands of visitors passed through the Benalmadena fish event enjoying a huge variety of dishes straight from the sea.
Portions will start from as little as €7, which for that that is normally on the pricier side of things, this is an affordable way to sample freshly prepared seafood without ramped up restaurant prices. Visitors can feast on favourites such as succulent cooked prawns, light seafood salad, clams, razor clams, traditional paella and popular fideua, all served amongst the beautiful scenery of the waterfront.
Popular traditional dishes and stunning spring weather
Last year the seafood platters and rice dishes were the biggest hit for value for money, served in extra generous portions and prepared with delicious fresh local ingredients. The winning combination of good value, warm late‑spring weather and the marina backdrop brought families, residents, day-trippers all for a mooch and munch over the course of the day.
Musical entertainment, sea views and great value €1 parking
Live musical entertainment with feed the ears while you feast on the food. Plenty of outdoor seating available and for those people driving they can use the Pueblo Sol parking during the fair for just €1, making it a stress free travel option for anyone wanting to be close to the action.
Local and national brands both supporting the event
The fair is supported by a number of local businesses and many well‑known brands, with this year’s poster featuring collaborators including San Miguel, Coca‑Cola, Cumaca, and several local popular Benalmadena hospitality establishments.
The return of the well-loved Benalmadena seafood fair is from Thursday, May 28 to Sunday, May 31. For more information visit the Benalmadena town hall website.