Connect with us

%

Prince William Visits Damehood Cancer Champion At Her Home

Published

on

prince-william-visits-damehood-cancer-champion-at-her-home

Prince William visits Damehood cancer champion at her home Source: Instagram @DeborahJones

Prince William visited Deborah Jones, the cancer champion, at her in home in Surrey on Friday, May 13, to deliver her damehood to her in person.

The podcaster made the news this week after being awarded the honour after she raised more than £5 million for cancer.

In an Instagram post, she said: “Prince William actually came to our family house today! It’s quite surreal having a royal pop in at home, and yes you can imagine the cleaning antics and preparation went off the scale – but it was all irrelevant because William was so kind, and he put us all at ease.”


Jones, who has terminal bowel cancer, says she does not know how long she has left. She has since been moved to hospice care at home, where she will live out her final days.

Earlier in the week, she had posted that her body was no longer “playing ball”.

In a heart-breaking post, she said her body was no longer “playing ball”.


Jones, whose damehood was announced Thursday, raised more than £5 million, which will go towards clinical trials, research and raising awareness of bowel cancer. The funds will be handled by her donation fund in partnership with Cancer Research UK.

Commenting on the visit, she said she wanted to thank everyone for their kind donations and for the royal visit, which made it a “special day” for the whole family, and it has made “memories to last a lifetime.”

Prince Willian and the duchess said they had personally donated to her fund, tweeting that she was “inspiring” and “tireless in her efforts.”


The tweeted: “Deborah, our thoughts are with you, your family and your friends. Thank you for giving hope to so many who are living with cancer. W & C.”.

The host of the BBC podcast “You, Me and the Big C” was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2016. Her candid posts about her condition gained her hundreds of thousands of Instagram followers.

It’s not every day the Duke and Duchess visit someone in their home, but this special lady did get a visit to personally deliver her Damehood for her work in raising awareness of cancer.


Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

%

Ukraine On Border Strikes: “Threat Of Missile Attacks From Belarus Remains”

Published

on

ukraine-on-border-strikes:-“threat-of-missile-attacks-from-belarus-remains”

Ukraine on border strikes: “Threat of missile attacks from Belarus remains”. Image: General Staff/ Ukraine Army

THE General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine has warned that Russia is looking to maintain and strengthen its borders and notes that the “threat of missile strikes from the territory of the Republic of Belarus remains.”

Spokesman of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, Alexander Štupun, said on Friday, May 20, that although there have been “no significant changes in the position of the armed forces units of the Republic of Belarus”, the threat remains.

Speaking further about other areas in Ukraine, Štupun said: “In the Kharkiv direction, the enemy focuses its main efforts on maintaining the occupied borders. Attempts to conduct counterattacks to recover lost positions. Conducts enhanced aerial intelligence with the use of BPLA.”

The failure to capture Kharkiv saw Russian President Vladimir Putin fire one of his most senior commanders.

As noted on Thursday, May 18, Lieutenant General Serhiy Kisel, who commanded the elite 1st Guards Tank Army, was suspended for his failure to capture Kharkiv.

Štupun continued: “In addition, enemy shelling was recorded near Russian Tishkív, while in the Slavic direction, the opponent fired at civilian infrastructure in the area of settlements Dovgenke, Velika Komyšuvakha and Valley.

“In the Donetsk direction, the enemy activated offensive and assault actions to improve the tactical position. Delivered mortars, barrel artillery, jet-fire systems, and Tactical Aviation to destroy our units’ fortification structures along the line of encounter.”

Štupun said that “there was a high probability of continuation of the fighting in order to improve the tactical position and exit the administrative border of the Kherson region,” something that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky touched upon in one of his recent nightly addresses to the nation.

Zelensky said on Tuesday, May 17, that Russian failures in southern Ukrainian regions such as Kherson led to desperate airstrikes on the Lviv region, Sumy region, Chernihiv region and Luhansk region in attempts to compensate for ‘failures in the east and south of the country

“In the Donetsk and Luhansk directions over the past 24 hours, fourteen enemy attacks have been repelled, eight tanks destroyed, fourteen units of combat armored equipment and six units of enemy’s vehicle equipment. Air defence units shot down one UAV type “Orlan-10″,” Štupun concluded.


Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

Continue Reading

%

Breaking News: Eight New UK Cities Created In Queen’s Honour

Published

on

breaking-news:-eight-new-uk-cities-created-in-queen’s-honour

A competition run in honour of the Queen on her platinum jubilee has resulted in eight new cities being created, the first time Crown Dependencies and Overseas Territories were allowed to apply.

The cities announced on Friday, May 20, by the BBC, cover every nation as well as the Falkland Islands and the Isle of Man.

Those towns looking to be afforded the royal honour were required to show their cultural heritage and royal links, as well as how their local identity and communities was deserving of city status.

Being afforded city status is a bonus for local communities according to the Cabinet Office, with the status opening up new opportunities for those that live and work there.

The addition of the eight new cities takes the tally across the UK to 76, with 55 in England, eight in Scotland, seven in Wales and six in Northern Ireland.

New cities in the United Kingdom

Six new cities have been created in the UK, these being:

  • Milton Keynes, Colchester and Doncaster all in England,
  • Dunfermline in Scotland,
  • Bangor in Northern Ireland and
  • Wrexham in Wales.

New cities in British Overseas Territories

The first time the awards have been made in the overseas territories have gone to:

  • Stanley, in the Falklands and
  • Douglas, in the Isle of Man.

The competition

Some 40 towns submitted bids for city status, which is usually associated in the UK with having a cathedral, a university or large population. However, there are no set rules for the granting of status, with each one being awarded by the monarch on the advice of ministers.

Each new city will receive the award formally through a Letters Patent, which will be presented later in the year.

A competition run alongside the main one saw Southampton granted Lord Mayoralty status, joining the ranks of previous Jubilee competition winners including Chester, Exeter and Armagh.

Competition is said to have been strong with many towns deserving of city status, but only eight cities have been created in honour of the queen on her platinum jubilee.


Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

Continue Reading

%

Amnesty International Demands FIFA Compensates Migrant Workers In Qatar

Published

on

amnesty-international-demands-fifa-compensates-migrant-workers-in-qatar

Amnesty International demands FIFA compensates migrant workers in Qatar. Credit: [email protected]

Amnesty International has demanded compensation to be paid to migrant workers constructing World cup venues in Qatar

Human rights organisation Amnesty International has this Thursday, May 19, made a demand of world football’s governing body FIFA. Ahead of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, the NGO has called on the entity to pay compensation to migrant workers.

These migrants have been involved in the construction of new stadiums for the prestigious sporting event in the Middle Eastern nation. Amnesty has suggested that a figure of at least $440 million (€416 million) in damages would be about right.

Ever since work began on the new football venues, Qatar has been heavily criticised for its treatment of the labour force.

In a statement, Amnesty International said: “FIFA should spend at least $440 million to repair the damage suffered by hundreds of thousands of migrant workers who were victims of human rights abuses in Qatar during preparations for the 2022 World Cup“.

This figure, according to the NGO, is equivalent to the amount of World Cup prize money on offer that the 32 participating countries will share.

“With six months to go before the World Cup kicks off, abuses will continue unabated unless the action plan put in place by FIFA and its partners is properly implemented”, the statement continued. “However, it is already too late to erase the past suffering, and it is time for FIFA and Qatar to put things right”.

Social reforms, and work condition improvements that were carried out by Qatari authorities on the construction sites since 2018 had been welcomed by Amnesty. FIFA, in response to the statement, told AFP that it was “currently assessing the proposal of Amnesty”, as well as those presented to them by other NGOs.

The number of deaths that human rights organisations and the international media have quoted to have occurred on the construction sites have always been vehemently denied by the authorities in Qatar.

___________________________________________________________

Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Spanish Property & News