Connect with us

%

Police Move An Estimated 4,000 Migrants Off Ceuta’s Sand In Dawn Operation

Published

on

police-move-an-estimated-4,000-migrants-off-ceuta’s-sand-in-dawn-operation

Two further sites are being prepared to provide shelter to over 2,000 more migrants. Credit: @KARIMPRIM / X

Three weeks of tents built from reeds, rope and cardboard are gone from Playa del Trampolín after a Thursday morning police operation left the beach almost empty for the first time since July. More than 1,200 people have been confirmed moved into shelters so far, migrants are being kept apart by nationality to prevent clashes, and none of them are being sent home yet.

Migrants split by nationality as police cleared the beach in stages

Officers from the Policía Nacional, Guardia Civil and Local Police surrounded Playa del Trampolín shortly after 7am on Thursday August 20, forming a perimeter with around 30 police vans before the transfer began.

🚨🚨 Trasladan a parte de los inmigrantes que ocupaban la playa del Trampolín en #Ceuta al embolsamiento de Loma Colmenar , cerca de la barriada príncipe
Alfonso y frontera del Tarajal #Inmigracion #Traslado #Desalojo pic.twitter.com/Sd7P8d3pgy

— KARIM PRIM (@KARIMPRIM) August 20, 2026

Translators worked alongside officers throughout, moving people out in groups of roughly 30 at a time on foot under police escort. Migrants were also divided by nationality between the reception sites, a deliberate move officials said was meant to prevent the kind of clashes reported between different groups over the past two weeks.

By late morning, Spain’s Migration Ministry said the beach was empty for the first time since the settlement formed.

Thousands of people ended up sleeping on the beach after the irregular crossings

The camp grew out of the wave of irregular crossings that began on Thursday July 30, when tens of thousands of people entered Ceuta by sea after a Supreme Court ruling on July 8 stopped fast-track rejection procedures being applied to migrants intercepted while swimming into the territory. That ruling meant new arrivals had to go through Spain’s full immigration process rather than being returned immediately, and Ceuta’s reception centres, built for a fraction of that number, filled within days.

The majority of people returned across the border after a few days once supplies ran low and the hope of finding refuge dwindled, however, the few thousand that stayed with nowhere else to go built makeshift shelters on Playa del Trampolín. Conditions then deteriorated badly: the settlement had just two toilets and two showers between thousands of residents, and a scabies outbreak spread among Spanish troops housed nearby while the Red Cross distributed an estimated 4,000 meals a day.

Confirmed transfers still lag the numbers who were living on the beach

Ceuta’s Government Delegation confirmed more than 1,200 people had been moved into two temporary sites, Loma Margarita and El Embolsamiento, by late Thursday morning. Combined capacity at those two sites is about 1,800, short of the 3,500 to 5,000 people police estimated had been living across the beach and the neighbouring Loma Colmenar settlement.

Two further sites, including a former equestrian centre, are being prepared, and officials say total capacity across all four will eventually exceed 5,000 places. Separately, the government said 500 unaccompanied children would be transferred to reception centres on the Spanish mainland.

The charities Engloba and ACCEM are providing support at the new sites alongside the Red Cross. Spain’s inclusion minister said the operation was designed “to guarantee proper humanitarian care, protect people’s fundamental rights and preserve their dignity, while we help Ceuta get back to normality as soon as possible.”

No deportations, and a 30-day ultimatum still hanging over Madrid

Migrants moved off the beach were reportedly told they would not be deported to Morocco, consistent with the legal reality since the July 8 ruling: fast-track return is not available to most of those who arrived by sea, and each case now requires individual processing.

That leaves the political pressure on Madrid largely unchanged. Around 10,000 migrants are now estimated to remain in Ceuta, up from the more than 8,000 in place when the city’s president, Juan Jesús Vivas, gave the central government a 30-day deadline last week to speed up returns, warning he would take the crisis to Spain’s Supreme Court and Constitutional Court if nothing improved. 

The far-right party VOX had separately been pressing Ceuta’s government for days to invoke the city’s beach-use bylaw, which bans tent camping on any beach year-round, to force the camp’s removal on public-health grounds rather than through immigration law.

The sand may now be empty, but with no deportations and Vivas’s deadline still running, Ceuta’s migration crisis has simply moved indoors.

%

Spain’s Forgotten Link With Ireland Comes Alive This September In A Four Day Festival

Published

on

spain’s-forgotten-link-with-ireland-comes-alive-this-september-in-a-four-day-festival

Crowds gather at Streedagh Beach in County Sligo to remember the Spanish Armada sailors shipwrecked off the Irish coast. Credit: Spanish Armada Ireland.

More than four centuries after three Spanish Armada ships were wrecked off the Irish coast, Spain is returning to the same corner of Ireland this September for a remarkable four day festival. Spanish Navy sailors, musicians and visitors will gather in County Sligo from September 17 to 20 for Remembering the Armada 2026, with concerts, Spanish food, historical events and a ceremony on the beach where around 1,100 Armada men lost their lives in 1588.

It is a piece of shared Spanish and Irish history that is surprisingly little known outside the area.

And what happened at Streedagh Beach was considerably more dramatic than the rather neat version of the Spanish Armada story many of us probably remember from school.

Three Spanish ships and a disastrous night off Ireland

The Armada had set out in 1588 as part of Philip II of Spain’s attempt to invade England. When that failed, the fleet was forced north around Scotland and down Ireland’s Atlantic coast on the long journey home.

For three ships, La Lavia, Santa María de Visón and La Juliana, that journey ended at Streedagh in County Sligo.

A huge storm struck the coast on September 21, 1588. All three ships were driven onto the shore and wrecked, with around 1,100 soldiers and sailors believed to have died. The wrecks are still there.

In fact, Streedagh is the only known beach where three Spanish Armada wrecks lie together. Archaeological work has recovered an extraordinary collection of material from beneath the sea, including cannon from La Juliana, gun carriage wheels, cannonballs, smaller guns and pieces of the ships themselves. Twelve Armada cannon recovered in 2015 were taken away for conservation. But one of the men who somehow made it off the beach alive left behind something even more valuable: his story.

The Spanish captain who survived and wrote it all down

Captain Francisco de Cuéllar survived the wreck and then found himself stranded in a country he knew virtually nothing about, with English forces looking for Spanish survivors.

What followed was an extraordinary journey through Ireland.

Some Irish people helped him, others robbed or threatened him, and local chieftains offered shelter despite the danger of being punished by English authorities for assisting the Spanish.

De Cuéllar eventually left Ireland and lived to write an account of what happened.

His letter disappeared for centuries before turning up in a Spanish archive in 1895. It has since become one of the most important contemporary accounts of the Armada survivors in Ireland and of life in the country during the late 16th century.

That story is still very much part of the landscape around Sligo today, where visitors can follow the De Cuéllar Trail through places connected with his escape.

During September’s festival, his words will return to the story once again.

A live reading of Lost Sailor of the Armada, based on de Cuéllar’s writings, takes place in Grange on Saturday, September 19.

By then, however, the Spanish presence in Sligo will already be difficult to miss.

Spanish Navy returns for the 2026 Armada festival

The festival begins on Thursday, September 17, with an official opening in Killybegs.

A coach will leave Grange at 9.30am, taking visitors to Killybegs for a tour of the Spanish Navy vessel OPV Centinela, followed by lunch and a visit to Donegal Castle.

Later that evening the history books are put aside for a while.

Spanish and Irish musicians will take over Connolly’s Bar in Sligo for a traditional music session from 9pm.

Friday gets considerably more serious in the morning, with an Armada conference at the National Surf Centre in Strandhill bringing together experts for lectures and discussions about the events of 1588.

There is then a heritage walk through Sligo in the afternoon, including a musical event at Sligo Abbey.

By 8pm attention moves back to Grange, where the Spanish Navy Band joins the Atlantic Ensemble for the festival’s gala concert at the Church of Mary Immaculate.

And anyone who does not fancy going straight home afterwards can head to Moran’s Bar for the Armada Club and a pint.

It is that mixture of proper historical commemoration and a fairly relaxed Spanish and Irish gathering that makes the programme a little different from the usual heritage festival.

Streedagh Beach becomes the centre of the story again

Crosses laid out on Streedagh Beach in County Sligo to remember the Spanish Armada sailors who died there in 1588.
So I did not infer the photographer from the photograph itself. The filename explicitly says “photo Charlie Brady”, which is why I used Credit: Charlie Brady.

Saturday is when the festival moves closest to the events it is actually remembering.

There will be a historical display of 16th century life in Ireland from 11am, followed by the de Cuéllar reading at midday. At 1pm, a new Armada monument supported by the Spanish Navy and Spanish Embassy in Ireland will be unveiled at the Spanish Armada Visitor Centre in Grange. Then at 3pm people will gather at Streedagh Beach.

It is here, looking out towards the places where the three wrecks still lie beneath the water, that the annual commemoration remembers the approximately 1,100 men who died.

The location makes the story rather difficult to treat as distant history.

Those sailors had left Spain expecting to fight a war in England. Instead, hundreds ended their lives on a beach in the west of Ireland, while the handful who survived suddenly depended on local people they had never expected to meet.

The connection that grew from that disaster is what the festival now celebrates.

Saturday evening finishes with a Mass and Ceremony of Friendship in Grange, accompanied by Spanish and Irish music, before another Armada Club evening at Lang’s Bar.

You can actually walk above the Spanish Armada wrecks

Sunday morning offers perhaps the most unusual event of the weekend.

After a 9am yoga session and optional Atlantic swim, visitors can join the Armada Shipwrecks Walk and Talk at Streedagh Beach at 10am.

Guides will identify the wreck sites offshore and explain how they were discovered and investigated.

For anyone accustomed to seeing Armada artefacts behind museum glass, standing on the beach with the ships themselves still beneath the water is a rather different experience.

At midday, the festival closes at Streedagh with a salute to the OPV Carnota and its crew, accompanied by a flotilla of boats in the bay.

There is one final Spanish touch later in Sligo, with Latin music and tapas beside the Garavogue river from 6pm.

An Armada themed art and photography exhibition will also run throughout the four days in Grange Hall, including photographs of local discoveries made in 1985 and 2015.

Many of the events are free, although the Killybegs trip, conference, gala concert and some evening events require tickets. The organisers have published the full Remembering the Armada 2026 programme and booking information through Spanish Armada Ireland.

For anyone travelling from Spain, it is certainly not the most obvious Irish weekend away.

But 438 years after three Spanish ships disappeared beneath the Atlantic at Streedagh, there are not many places in Ireland where the connection with Spain runs quite as deep.

Continue Reading

%

Ryanair Changes Safety Briefing

Published

on

ryanair-changes-safety-briefing

Seatbelt fastened, hand luggage stowed, tray table up and the captain’s familiar muffled announcement playing overhead. Then comes the safety briefing, and now, if you’re flying with Ryanair, this section will be over a little quicker than what you’re used to

What has Ryanair changed?

Ryanair has introduced a shorter version of its pre-flight safety briefing, with the airline’s updated recording reportedly around 40 seconds faster than the version used previously. The change has attracted attention after some Ryanair cabin crew reportedly said they are finding it difficult to keep pace with the new recording while carrying out the accompanying safety demonstration.

The previous English-language safety demonstration used in 2025 lasted around three minutes and 25 seconds. The new version is reported to be nearly 40 seconds shorter. As many will know, Ryanair’s safety demonstration is carried out by cabin crew, who physically show passengers procedures including how to fasten and release a seat belt, use an oxygen mask and use a life jacket.

According to reports, the change followed feedback from cabin crew who had considered the previous announcement too slow. Some crew members have now said that the revised version has made the routine more difficult to perform in time with the recording. Some cabin crew have described the new timing as difficult to follow when moving between the different demonstration steps. One crew member described the movements as being like “spinning like ballerinas”, while another commented that there was not enough time to pick up the next demonstration kit.

Will the change affect passengers?

For passengers, the main difference is purely the faster pace of the safety demonstration and no actual content has been amended on what you need to know on board or if an emergency occurs. The usual advice remains the same as always, pay attention to the safety demonstration before take-off, even if you regularly fly with Ryanair. Passengers should take note of the location of their nearest emergency exit and listen to the instructions given by the cabin crew.

The latest change is primarily about how quickly the safety briefing is delivered, rather than a new procedure for passengers.

Are you an avid listener of the briefing? Or a headphones in and straight into your downloaded series traveller? Either way, Ryanair will be explaining what to do, even if it is like a spinning ballerina in a life jacket.

Continue Reading

%

Spain’s Falcon Farms Make Their Mark At 2026 Riyadh Auction

Published

on

spain’s-falcon-farms-make-their-mark-at-2026-riyadh-auction

RIYADH

Spain is establishing a strong presence at the 2026 International Falcon Breeders Auction, organised by the National Centre for Falcons in Malham, north of Riyadh, and running through Aug. 25. Building on its falconry heritage and growing investment in specialised breeding farms, Spain has become an increasingly important contributor to the global falcon market, with greater focus on producing high-quality breeds that meet falconers’ requirements and compete in racing and other competitions.

Spain is home to several well-known falcon breeding farms, including Jerez, Rubio, RA and BCN, among others that have chosen to take part in the international auction. Their participation reflects the auction’s growing status as a platform bringing together breeders and buyers in a specialised market, while giving Spanish breeders direct access to a broad base of falconers and enthusiasts.

View of a Falcon on a handlers hand
Image: Saudi Arabia National Center for Falcons

The presence of these farms highlights the transformation of falconry in Spain from a heritage-based pastime and hobby into a sector where passion and expertise intersect with investment and production. Breeders are increasingly focused on improving the quality of their stock, selecting breeds and drawing on accumulated expertise to strengthen their competitiveness in international markets.

The significance of Spain’s participation goes beyond displaying falcons. It also provides breeders with an opportunity to test the market value of their birds among buyers from different markets, making the auction a practical indicator of demand for Spanish breeds and their ability to attract falconers seeking specific qualities and competitive prospects.

The owner of one of the participating Spanish farms said the International Falcon Breeders Auction has become the preferred marketplace for many Spanish breeders, who are keen to bring their birds to Riyadh because of the opportunity it provides to access a specialised market and meet buyers directly, as well as the platform’s growing profile and reputation among international breeding farms.

Sales activity has translated this presence into tangible results. On the third night of the auction, a young Gyr-Peregrine from a Spanish farm attracted strong interest from buyers before selling for SAR 42,000 (≈ €9,690). On the fifth night, two Gyr-Peregrine falcons from Spain’s Rocio and Jerez farms sold for a combined SAR 70,000 (≈ €16,150), in deals reflecting growing demand for Spanish-bred falcons and demonstrating the auction’s ability to turn international participation by breeding farms into direct economic value.

It is worth noting that the ongoing edition of the International Falcon Breeders Auction saw this year’s most expensive falcon sold, a Super White, for SAR 1.3 million (≈ €299,900).

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Spanish Property & News