Donald Trump’s immigration policy is once again facing the courts, this time over a measure affecting students, researchers, exchange visitors and foreign journalists. A coalition of unions, universities and education organizations has sued the administration in an effort to block new restrictions that, beginning September 15, will establish time limits on how long people can legally remain in the United States under certain types of visas.
The lawsuit was filed Tuesday in federal court in Massachusetts and challenges a regulation by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) that replaces the system known as “duration of status,” which had been in place for decades. Under that system, international students with F-1 visas could remain in the country as long as they were making adequate progress in their academic programs, without being subject to a fixed maximum period.
The new regulations establish that students and exchange visitors with F and J visas, respectively, may be admitted for the duration of their program, but for no more than four years. Those who need more time will have to apply for an extension of stay.
The measure does not mean that all students must complete their degrees within four years. However, the plaintiffs argue that the requirement to apply for an extension introduces additional uncertainty for those enrolled in longer programs, particularly graduate and doctoral students.
“Students will lose opportunities, schools will lose talent, and the public will lose billions of dollars of economic contributions supported by one of the United States’ top exports: education,” the groups said in their lawsuit.
What will change for foreign students?
In addition to the four-year limit, the regulation imposes new restrictions on some students who want to change programs or institutions and limits certain opportunities to begin new courses of study.
The issue is particularly relevant for doctoral programs and other courses of study that can take more than four years. The plaintiffs argue that the new system could turn a process that previously depended primarily on academic progress into one subject to periodic reviews by immigration authorities.
The regulation is not limited to universities. Foreign journalists with I visas will also face shorter admission periods. For most of them, the period of stay will be limited to 240 days. For journalists holding passports from the People’s Republic of China — with the exception of those holding Hong Kong or Macau passports — the limit will generally be 90 days. They may apply for extensions, although those will also be subject to limits.
The DHS argues that the new restrictions will allow it to exercise greater oversight over foreigners remaining in the United States under these visas.
The agency says the defined admission periods will allow officials to conduct periodic assessments to determine whether visa holders continue to comply with the terms of their status and to detect potential abuse or fraud. A DHS spokesperson defended the policy as a way to ensure that student visas are used by people who genuinely intend to study in the United States.
The administration has also said that the previous system allowed some foreigners to remain in the country for long periods with active visas.
However, the groups suing the government argue that using potential cases of fraud to justify a change affecting millions of students and other foreign visitors imposes a disproportionate burden on universities and applicants.
A new signal for foreign talent
The dispute comes at a time when the United States is beginning to face questions about its traditional role as a preferred destination for international students, researchers and professionals. For decades, its universities, labor market and opportunities for social mobility turned the country into a magnet for international talent. But, as EL PAÍS has documented, that perception has deteriorated during the Trump administration, amid tougher immigration policies and greater uncertainty for those seeking to study or work in the country.
The shift also coincides with efforts by other developed countries to attract highly skilled researchers and workers. Canada, Germany and the United Kingdom have introduced measures to facilitate the arrival of foreign talent, while the United States is tightening some of the mechanisms that for decades helped its universities and companies recruit it.
The data point to a change in the preferences of some professionals. According to the employment platform Handshake, the share of full-time job postings offering visa sponsorship fell to 2.3% in 2026, roughly one-fifth of the 2023 level. International student enrollment also fell by nearly 20% at the beginning of the last academic year.
The plaintiffs argue that imposing new limits and additional procedures could have consequences that go beyond the students themselves. In their lawsuit, they say the possibility of losing legal status while pursuing their studies could discourage foreigners from choosing U.S. universities.
For educational institutions, the risk is not limited to losing students. International students are an important source of revenue for universities and contribute to research and other sectors of the economy.
Immigration uncertainty is precisely one of the factors leading some foreign students and professionals to reconsider whether the United States is still the best place to build a long-term career. For those who come to the country intending to study and later enter the workforce, having a predictable immigration pathway can be just as important as the quality of a university or the professional opportunities.
The lawsuit asks a judge to block the rule from taking effect and to invalidate it before September 15.
Sign up fo rour weekly newsletter to get more English-language news coverage from EL PAÍS USA Edition
Liberia ha acordado recibir hasta 1.200 deportados de terceros países enviados por Estados Unidos durante el próximo año, según un comunicado del Gobierno liberiano difundido este martes y citado por Reuters. De acuerdo a las autoridades del país africano, un primer grupo de 20 personas llegará a su territorio este jueves. El comunicado liberiano precisa que los deportados serán ciudadanos o nacionales de países africanos y del hemisferio occidental que estén “médicamente autorizados para viajar”, y añade que algunos “podrían buscar asilo” en Liberia. Las autoridades estadounidenses no se han pronunciado públicamente al respecto.
El acuerdo es el más reciente que la Administración Trump cierra con un gobierno africano para expulsar a personas que no puede deportar legalmente a sus países de origen o porque estos no acceden a recibirlos. En la mayoría de los casos, sin embargo, los migrantes en cuestión han obtenido protección legal contra la repatriación después de que jueces migratorios estadounidenses determinaran que corren riesgo de tortura u otros abusos si regresan a sus naciones.
Washington ha defendido estos acuerdos, que ya tiene con varios países africanos y latinoamericanos, como legales. Sin embargo, organizaciones de derechos humanos y abogados de los afectados sostienen que los detalles se mantienen opacos y que, en muchos casos, los deportados terminan siendo repatriados a sus países de origen igualmente, pese al riesgo señalado por los propios tribunales estadounidenses.
Desde el comienzo de la segunda Administración Trump, el secretismo ha marcado las deportaciones que Estados Unidos ha realizado hacia terceros países. En los meses iniciales, estas se hicieron a varios países centroamericanos, como Costa Rica o Panamá, pero a partir del verano del 2025 Washington firmó acuerdos con gobiernos africanos como Sudán del Sur, Ruanda, Esuatini, República Centroafricana o Liberia.
En su mayoría, los traslados han sido opacos, no se han revelado las identidades de los expulsados y, en algunas ocasiones, una vez en los países receptores, se ha conocido que han estado recluidos en prisiones. Abogados han denunciado también aislamiento total, imposibilidad de comunicarse con los migrantes deportados y desconocimiento de los cargos que se les imputan, además de temor a que sufran torturas al haber sido enviados a países donde no se garantiza el respeto a los derechos humanos.
El Departamento de Seguridad Nacional ha justificado estas deportaciones argumentando que permiten expulsar a personas “tan violentas que ni sus propios países las aceptan”, una versión que los mismos perfiles de algunos de los deportados refutan.
Liberia ya había protagonizado una noticia de alto perfil sobre la deportación de un extranjero a su territorio desde Estados Unidos. En octubre del año pasado, el gobierno liberiano emitió un comunicado en el que aceptaba recibir a Kilmar Abrego García —el salvadoreño cuya deportación errónea a una prisión de máxima seguridad en El Salvador se convirtió en un caso emblemático de la política migratoria de Trump— “de manera estrictamente humanitaria y temporal”, con la garantía de que no sería devuelto a ningún país donde pudiera enfrentar un riesgo sustancial de persecución, tortura u otro daño grave, y con el compromiso de coordinar el proceso con Naciones Unidas y otros organismos.
El Gobierno estadounidense citó esas “garantías requeridas” en los documentos presentados ante la corte que analizaba en ese momento el caso de Abrego García, quien impugna tanto su detención como los intentos de las autoridades de deportarlo a distintos terceros países. Hace apenas cuatro días, la jueza de distrito de Maryland Paula Xinis ha rechazado una vez más la apelación del Gobierno estadounidense para que le permitan deportarlo a Liberia y no a Costa Rica, donde Abrego García ya ha aceptado ir.
En octubre pasado, el anuncio de Liberia se produjo tras una reunión en Washington entre el secretario de Estado, Marco Rubio, y el canciller liberiano, en la que abordaron lo que llamaron “el desafío compartido que representa la migración” y el Acuerdo de Cooperación en Asilo entre ambos países.
Cinco días después de que Liberia aceptara recibir a Abrego García, Estados Unidos extendió la vigencia de las visas de negocios y turismo para ciudadanos liberianos de 12 a 36 meses. Además, ambos países firmaron un memorando mediante el cual Washington se comprometió a destinar 124 millones de dólares al sector salud liberiano, mientras que el Gobierno de Liberia suscribió un acuerdo de concesión por 1.800 millones de dólares con la firma Ivanhoe Atlantic, respaldada por capital estadounidense, para el acceso al corredor ferroviario del país.
Pese a estos gestos de acercamiento, el 21 de enero de 2026 la Administración Trump suspendió por completo la emisión de visas de inmigrante para ciudadanos liberianos. Por ahora, no hay información sobre lo que potencialmente podría recibir Liberia a cambio de aceptar más de 1.000 deportados en los próximos meses, pero sí se ha reportado que el Departamento de Justicia de la Administración Trump está buscando revivir el caso criminal contra Abrego García.
Enormes andamios en un estadio principal de San Juan, declaraciones de su alcalde deslizando que el sello discográfico Rimas Entertainment había separado fechas allí e incluso algunos fanáticos apostados para ser los primeros en comprar boletos… En las pasadas semanas creció la expectativa y este lunes se confirmó: Benito Antonio Martínez Ocasio, Bad Bunny, sellará su gira DeBÍ TiRAR MáS FOToS en su Puerto Rico.
Estados Unidos continúa su cerco contra el Tribunal Penal Internacional (TPI), responsable de procesar crímenes de guerra y agresiones militares y una de las instituciones multilaterales a las que el presidente Donald Trump ha declarado la guerra en el primer año y medio de su mandato. El Departamento de Estado ha anunciado este martes sanciones contra la presidenta del tribunal, la japonesa Tomoko Akane, y contra uno de los fiscales jefes, el senegalés Abdoulaye Seye.