Connect with us

%

Spain’s Ceuta Border Farce: Did Officials Look The Other Way?

Published

on

spain’s-ceuta-border-farce:-did-officials-look-the-other-way?

Floods of Moroccan residents invate Ceuta. Credit: Visigrad X

Spanish politicians finally admitted Friday night that more than 50,000 people mostly male, crossed from Morocco into Ceuta in a matter of hours. Local provincial president Juan Jesus Vivas put the number closer to 60,000. Nearly 48,300 had apparently already walked or swam back by early evening, leaving only about 2,000 still inside the enclave. However, those figures have not yet been independently verified. Fifty-seven people died in the crush and the water.

What remains is a deep sense of anger that any of this was allowed to happen at all.

How the human flood began

Young men, some still in swimming trunks and flip-flops, simply walked or swam around the Tarajal breakwater and border fence on Thursday. Border guards were overwhelmed within minutes. Reception centres filled past breaking point. Parks and streets became open-air camps. Shops slammed shut as groups were filmed looting. Residents reported broken doors, stolen goods, fights in the street and groups of foreigners demanding food or phones.

🚨#BREAKING: The Moroccan Muslims who have invaded the small Spanish city of Ceuta are now BREAKING INTO STORES by the HUNDREDS.

Police are completely overwhelmed.

Migrants can be seen running from one store to the next, grabbing items and running.

WHERE IS THE MILITARY?!!!!! pic.twitter.com/NjqQAI4zgD

— Matt Van Swol (@mattvanswol) July 31, 2026

Spanish police took scores of calls about clashes between the newcomers and locals. Army units and extra officers arrived late, after the damage was already done.

Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez flew in on Friday, called the whole episode a “violation of Spanish territory“, blamed trafficking gangs and a recent Supreme Court ruling, then promised quicker returns and a line of buoys in the sea. Residents who met him outside the heliport and the town hall could not hold back their frustration. They told him exactly what they thought of the government’s performance on immigration and protecting the borders. And it was not pretty.

Why this should never have happened

A Supreme Court decision earlier this month ruled that people intercepted at sea, for example, in a small boat, could not be turned straight back to where they came from. Word of that ruling spread fast on social media, and traffickers and rumour-mongers seized on it. Moroccan forces on the other side of the fence appeared to do very little to impede the illegal emigrants until the crowds were already moving. Some, even appeared to be facilitating it at first.

Spain has lived through previous border crises with mass runs at breaching the border. Lessons from those situations were said to have been learned. Instead, a tiny enclave of 83,000 people was left to cope with a human tide the size of a small city while Madrid reacted after the event.

Many in Ceuta spent Thursday night and Friday morning locked indoors, watching foreigners fill their streets. Local festivals planned for the weekend were cancelled. Businesses lost a full day’s trade. Anger in the population is raw and justified. Shops and services are said they will stay closed until after the weekend for safety reasons.

Mainland Spain stays clear … for now

Ceuta sits on the North African coast, separated from the Spanish mainland by the Strait of Gibraltar. No large groups from this particular crossing have appeared in Andalucia, Madrid or the Costa del Sol. Spanish authorities say the returns are continuing and the border is now under tighter control.

Mainland residents face no immediate risk from the people who entered Ceuta this week. That fact should bring some relief. It does not erase the disgrace of how easily the enclave was breached.

Questions that still need answers

Who left the border exposed after the Supreme Court restricted summary returns at sea? Why were Moroccan forces so slow to act on their side of the fence? How many more times will Spanish towns and cities be left exposed while politicians issue statements after the event?

Residents in Ceuta are already asking those questions. Expats and mainland Spaniards watching the footage have every right to ask them too. A country that cannot protect a small piece of its own territory has a diplomatic problem far bigger than one chaotic Thursday.

Security Alert:  The arrival of thousands of migrants from Morocco to Ceuta and hundreds to Melilla in the past 24 hours may lead to unpredictable and dangerous situations. Spain has deployed the Spanish military to contain the developing situation, together… pic.twitter.com/X0j74vvZ3U

— U.S. Embassy Madrid 🇺🇸🇪🇸 (@USembassyMadrid) July 31, 2026

%

Could The Rock Become A New Gateway Into Schengen?

Published

on

could-the-rock-become-a-new-gateway-into-schengen?

Spain has spent the past few weeks dealing with intense pressure on its borders, while just across the water, a very different border has been dramatically opened up.

Gibraltar’s land frontier with Spain disappeared on July 15 under the new UK-EU agreement, moving Schengen immigration controls to the Rock’s airport and port. For British expats living on the Costa del Sol, that should mean easier journeys into Gibraltar. Yet Spanish security officers are warning that quicker crossings must not come at the cost of proper border controls.

The timing is particularly interesting. Spain has recently faced a major migration crisis in Ceuta, where tens of thousands of people crossed from Morocco, putting enormous pressure on Spanish authorities, and the events in Ceuta have put border security firmly back in the spotlight. That makes one question increasingly relevant: could Gibraltar’s new system create opportunities for people trying to reach the Schengen area illegally?

Guardia Civil warns that security cannot be sacrificed

Olaya Salardon, communications secretary of the Asociación Unificada de la Guardia Civil, has warned that officers need much greater clarity about how the new Gibraltar arrangements will work. “Our concern is not the fence itself, but that security does not become a bargaining chip,” she said. Spanish officers want (and still don’t have) clear information about responsibilities, protocols and which authorities will take charge of particular border and security operations.

That matters because the old physical frontier has not simply disappeared without replacement. Schengen controls have moved to Gibraltar’s airport and port, where Spanish officials and Frontex are involved under the new arrangements.

Salardon has warned that any gaps in security could benefit organised criminal groups rather than ordinary citizens. For British expats who regularly travel between Spain and Gibraltar, that concern is not just theoretical. A border that is quicker to cross is only an improvement if travellers can also have confidence in the system protecting it.

Gibraltar says it must not become a back door into Schengen

Gibraltar’s Chief Minister Fabian Picardo has also addressed the issue directly. He has argued that the Rock should not be regarded simply as a convenient gateway into the Schengen area. “There has to be an economic relationship with Gibraltar, you have to contribute to Gibraltar loyally,” Picardo said, while also stressing that Gibraltar should not be seen “simply as a door to enter the Schengen area more easily”.

His comments take on added relevance after the recent events in Ceuta. Spanish authorities were faced with a huge influx of people arriving from Morocco, leading to a major security operation and agreements on returning migrants. The episode demonstrated just how quickly pressure can build around Spain’s external borders.

Gibraltar is a completely different situation, and there is no suggestion that the Ceuta events are linked to the Rock. However, both cases underline why control of Europe’s external borders remains such a sensitive issue.

What does this mean for British expats?

For British residents in Spain, the most visible change is likely to be much easier movement by road. Cars travelling between La Linea and Gibraltar no longer face the old routine land-border checks, removing one of the biggest frustrations for commuters, shoppers and visitors. Brexit rules have not, however, disappeared.

British citizens are still subject to the relevant Schengen entry requirements when entering the Schengen area unless they benefit from specific residence or other rights. The new Gibraltar arrangement does not turn a British passport into an EU passport or restore general freedom of movement. That distinction could become increasingly important as people get used to the new border.

Security is not the only issue British expats will notice. Gibraltar has introduced a new Transaction Tax as part of the customs arrangements linked to the treaty. The standard rate started at 15 per cent, with more changes due under the agreed timetable. Gibraltar’s government has also had to correct claims that the new tax automatically means shop prices will rise by 15 per cent.

Officials say the tax is based on the value of goods when imported or produced rather than simply being added to the final price paid by customers. Tobacco, alcohol and fuel are also covered by new arrangements intended to reduce tax differences with Spain and tackle smuggling. For expats who regularly cross the border to shop or fill the car, those changes could eventually be just as noticeable as the disappearance of the old frontier.

The fence has gone: Now the system faces its first real test

Gibraltar’s new border is supposed to make life easier for thousands of people who cross between the Rock and Spain every day. Yet the real test will be whether faster movement can be delivered while maintaining effective immigration, customs and criminal controls.

The Guardia Civil wants reassurance that security will not be sacrificed. Picardo insists Gibraltar should not become an easy gateway into Schengen. Spain’s recent experience in Ceuta shows why those questions matter.

Continue Reading

%

Fifty Prizes Worth €4,216 For SOS Canya

Published

on

fifty-prizes-worth-e4,216-for-sos-canya

Ten euros doesn’t buy much these days. Here, though, that small note could hand one lucky winner a €4,216 haul of prizes and, at the same time, help dogs in need

A single winning number, fifty ways to celebrate

Fundacion Canya SOS has launched its Grand Charity Raffle, but this is no ordinary raffle. Buy a €10 ticket, and if your number is the one drawn, you don’t walk away with a single item — you take home every one of the fifty prizes on offer. Only one ticket number wins, but that winner scoops the lot. Donated by local businesses and individuals across the area, the haul ranges from dog grooming vouchers and pet photography sessions to spa days, restaurant dinners, whale-watching trips, paragliding flights and gift cards from well-known shops. Winners will be decided by matching the last three digits of the official ONCE lottery coupon drawn on September 20, the same day the foundation hosts its first-ever Canya Festival.

Why the Los Barrios shelter needs urgent help now

Behind the glossy prize list sits an urgent appeal. Rescue teams describe this summer as one of the toughest on record, with dogs arriving in growing numbers, many sick, injured or just dumped by owners who can no longer cope. Eight puppies from Jimena were recently discovered tied up inside boxes, left exposed to soaring heat, while eleven dogs were brought in during a single day alone. Over the past year, more than 850 abandoned dogs have passed through the charity’s care, and over 200 currently depend on foster homes and the pound for food, medicine and daily attention.

How to buy a ticket

Tickets are sold at several points across the region, including the charity shop in Puerto de la Duquesa, Protectora Canya in Los Barrios, Discos Grammy in Algeciras, Tienda Cachalot in Tarifa and BigMat El Motor in Pueblo Nuevo de Guadiaro. . Anyone abroad or unable to visit in person can still take part remotely via Bizum, Revolut or PayPal, though organisers ask that buyers send a message beforehand to arrange payment details.

Where does the money go

Every ticket sold goes directly towards vet bills, vaccinations, surgeries and basic care for rescued dogs waiting for a second chance. Expats in the area have long supported SOS Canya’s work rehoming animals to new families in the UK, Germany and Finland, and this draw offers a low-cost, high-reward way to keep that lifeline running through a particularly difficult season.

Continue Reading

%

Antonio Banderas Turns 66 At Starlite Gala

Published

on

antonio-banderas-turns-66-at-starlite-gala

Under the stars of Marbella’s historic Nagueles quarry, local favourite and superstar Antonio Banderas celebrated his 66th birthday with more than cake and candles. The Hollywood star returned as host to the 17th Starlite Occident Gala, where peace signs, flowers and a 1970s hippy theme set the scene for an evening all about generosity, music and a quiet plea for humanity in troubled times.

A hippy tribute with heart

Organisers embraced a “Peace & Love” dress code, transforming the open-air venue into a retro world of peace symbols, floral garlands and feel-good anthems. Banderas, who has called himself a “late hippy”, leaned into the theme. “Peace and love is now a slogan that unfortunately makes very little sense in the world we are living in,” he said, hinting at how his public voice has shifted from pure glamour to purpose.

Antonio Banderas 66
Star turns 66
Credit:AntonioBanderas/FB

Midnight birthday moment and a shirt auction

Guests included long-time collaborator Placido Domingo, who led the room in singing “Happy Birthday” at midnight. In a spontaneous gesture that lifted the night’s fundraising total, Banderas handed over the very shirt he was wearing—painted by his own hand for the charity auction. Proceeds support educational, health and social projects run by the Starlite Foundation in partnership with Ninos en Alegria, Cudeca (palliative cancer care) and Lagrimas y Favores, the actor’s own foundation that backs students at the University of Malaga among other causes. Nicole Kimpel, Banderas’s partner since 2014, stood by his side for what felt like a double celebration.

Starlite matters more than ever 17 years on

Now in its 17th year, the gala has raised more than €3 million for charities over the years, turning Marbella’s summer spotlight into real-world impact. This edition also featured a special initiative to support reconstruction efforts in Venezuela following recent earthquakes, working with CAF (the development bank of Latin America and the Caribbean) and Venezuela Sin Limites. For Banderas, using fame to gather people and funds is “almost an obligation”, proof that celebrity can do more than dazzle, it can deliver.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Spanish Real Estate Agents

Tags

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Spanish Property & News